Thursday, October 26, 2006

we have made up

My relationship with technology is so demanding and now wants me to be more available. My new love wants me to commit. I said you know how guys can’t commit. After thinking about it, I have decide to work on commitment and asked myself what is it going to take for me. If my relationship with technology is going to work then there has to be some give and take. Right now I have too much on my burner and don’t have enough time to devote to technology. The solution is to down size my activities and re-evaluate what is important. That is what I am prepared to do for this relationship...now techie is happy.

This week I used my digital camera to record short Ojibwe language segments. I was in my home community of Nigigoonsiminikaaning and filmed my mother cleaning ducks, snow falling down at my camp and a short walk to a spirit house. Short video clips is what I was after and then in my classes, I played them and asked the students to tell me the Ojibwe words that they heard. I then wrote out the words in Ojibwe for all to see, on the Proxima projector. That was really cool.

I volunteer at a school called Anishinaabe Academy where they are looking to incorporate Ojibwe language into the school. What I do is host a language table for them and try and teach them Ojibwe phrases that they can use in the classroom. I use my lap top to project with and then e-mail them the lesson we covered. That really saves on paper. This morning , I showcased a CD Rom that I was involved in. The producer of the CD Rom was in town and I got a copy of the first draft. It is taken from the Mishomis Book by Eddy Benton, the chapter on the Seven Grandfather teachings. It was all animated and we saw the chapter be acted out on the screen. I did the language part of the CD Rom and was quit pleased by the end result. Again I thought that was really cool.

Technology is pretty cool and I think we might have a future together. I'm glad we made up.

4 Comments:

Blogger Helen MR said...

Hi Pebaam,
I am so glad that you are reunited. Now, given all the hoopla about marriage only being able to be between a man and a woman, does this mean that in order for you to be able to make a lifetime commitment to technology, technology must be female? :)
Hmmm. I wonder if there can be a constitutional amendment to allow for inanimate marriages...

I am fascinated by your journey and what you are doing with your video clips and the CD. Have you considered uploading video to your blog -- or of creating a blog with video and sound clips as a way of teaching Ojibwe language? (You can upload photos, sound files, video files -- as well as MW Word etc).

11:34 PM  
Blogger Pebaam said...

Helen,

Is commitment and marriage synonymous? and I don't know if techie is female or not...haven't decided yet.

That is a great idea about uploading video into my blog. I am definitly going to explore those possibilities. Actually I am already talking with Brian about the possibilities and we are exploring how we can that for the master's.
I'll keeo you informed or better yet you'll read about it in future blogs (I hope)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Howah!! youre involved in so many cool projects!!
Cant wait to see the seven grandfather animation!!
It would be neat if you could link your short video clips into your blog so we could check it out!!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Pebaam said...

I can't wait either. I want to learn all of this technology but my only problem is making the time to do it.
Hopefully it will be up soon.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home