Saturday, November 04, 2006

As The Bannock Burns

I decided that living with Techie is like living in a soap opera and the soap opera is called "As the Bannock Burns." The latest drama is that Techie is helping us get up to snuff at work and at home. Here is the latest...

I presented with power point for the first time this week. I gave a lecture on the four types of powwows for my Ojibwe Culture and History class and found power point made the job easier. Previously, I would write all the material on the board and ususally needed two large blackboard spaces. I liked powerpoint so much that I saved the presentation and plan to use it again in the future. I experienced technology as a time saver this week.

At home, I don't always get a wireless a connection and sometimes the signal is so weak that I lose the connection right in the middle of working on something. I think also I am stealing the neighbor's signal and that doesn't sit well with me either. The home computer is a dial-up and it is so slow and sometimes that quits on me too right in the middle of something.
Well I like being in the solution so we decided to order our own wireless connections. The phone company said we need to get a modem in order to have wireless. I'm not sure what that is but I think it helps transmit the signal, so we ordered it. So at home and at work, we are getting up to snuff.

Kinda looking forward to doing homework at home again, after all it is called "home" work.

Anyways, that is this week's drama as the bannock burns. Stayed tuned next week when pebaam asks...

5 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Your relationship needs wireless,,:)
dial up is like--- trying to get to red gut from MPLS,,on a clunky old tracktor,,,:) LOL!!
-----
I just signed up for 'clearwire' ,wireless,,yestuerday, so am doing a little wireless happy dance!
haaa

8:26 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

thanks for your very nice comments about my artwork!
I can use crayons well,,,,but you can talk,, and people understand you in two languages!!! :)
I can talk in a few languages but never really say anything!!! :p
chiimigetch minowaa! :)

9:46 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Pebaam,, come over & look at the new pix, i put up.
Darn, I keep forgeting blogs are public,,so I cant say all of the questionable comments,, that I wish to make !! :p Heee( so I just censored my last 15 minutes worth of comments here) arrrgh!
Anyways---
there are more pictures from my "Doodem" series---
haaaaa waabishkimakwa,, said you were bizhooens,heeee , GEGET!!!bizhooensish!!
(thats ok,, coyotye niin (honorary) nindoodem!)

I am still trying to figure out the whole adding links & making our own wiki. I'd really like to make a wiki,, of my top ten favorite insults list,, an invite others to share their favorite insults. But I fear that could be walking the razors edge of decency. So, I'll have to just keep my own cuff account of insult,,for when you least expect it!! :)
giigiwaabamin boozhoonensish

11:58 PM  
Blogger speterme said...

Dennis,

I was reading a poetry blog where a grad student mentioned attending a lecture about using PowerPoint. One of the comments stated:

"Someone should give your professor Edward Tufte's The Cognitive Style of Powerpoint, in which Tufte demonstrates how PowerPoint helped cause the space shuttle Discovery disaster and obfuscated the investigation."

Here's a link to Tufte's book and website:
http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_pp

In my brief look at it, Tufte seems to be highlighting the problems with using PowerPoint for technical reports and analysis, but there might be similar issues with it as a tool for language instruction. There are some other good comments on Tufte's website. Plus, maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like your drawings. I still remember the beaver house diagram.

Like we discussed on Thursday, various technology tools need to be used in balance. I think it's important for presentations to allow room for interaction and spontaneity.

I'm looking forward to reading about Techie's next adventure.

mii iw,

Steve Petermeier
no man's land
minneapolis, mn
usa

2:45 PM  
Blogger Pebaam said...

Steve,

Thanks for visiting this site and offering your comments.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home