Sunday, November 19, 2006

Going away for the weekend with Techie

"Let's go away together this weekend.." I told techie. So we did.

I took my students to my home community of Nigigoonsiminikaaning this past weekend and had an Ojibwe immersion camp. The only part of techie I brought was the digital camera. Before I went, I took all the pictures I had in the camera and transferred them to the lap top. My plan is to sequence them and add Ojibwe phrases to them to show in my classes and at language table. Tayaa...I just created another project for myself. Oh well....

Anyways this weekend, I took over 150 pictures and the beauty of a digital camera is that I can take as much pictures as I want and I will not be wasting film. Also I can delete the ones I don't want and archive the ones I do want.
This weekend was full of ceremony where we were visiting sacred spots and offering tobacco. We walked around in the snow and saw all kinds of tracks. We had a sweat lodge, visited the community round house, sat in a blessing ceremony and ate traditional food like smoked beaver, deer stew, moose chile and wild rice. I was surprised to see so much snow there was on the ground. I love snow.

Sometimes it is good for my sanity to get away from the many aspects of Techie and all of her gadgets. Where we stayed, which is the language camp, there is no running water or electricity. It is good to get back to the basics periodically and to appreciate the simple things like, a sunrise, the beauty of snow, a walk in the woods.

Techie helped me do research this weekend in the form of a picture essay. I also got to know my students and bonded a little more with them. It was a great Anishinaabe filled weekend.

Stayed tuned when people start to wonder about Pebaam and Techie...are they becoming an item?

4 Comments:

Blogger Helen MR said...

Hi Pebaam,
Your descriptions are such an important reminder to me to take time to reconnect with the things that are important (and Techie is not one of them!:). I love to be out in the wilderness, surrounded by nature. I think that's when I am most whole. But like you, I do like to capture those moments with my digital camera so I can remember them when I get sucked back into the whirlwind of my life. Nora recommended a fascinating book to me, and although I am only about 50 pages into it, it is really helping me to put things into perspective on my own tech journey. It's Jerry Mander's "In the Absence of the Sacred; The Failure of Technology and the Survival of the Indian Nations." Have you read it? If you have, I'm curious what you reactions are to it.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Nora Livesay said...

Boozhoo, Your weekend trip sounded wonderful. I so enjoyed the trips there way back when I was your student. I should send you some of the pictures I took then from Obers and the camp.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Pebaam said...

Helen,

You know I was reading that journal entry from Nora's blog and was interested in that book. No I have not read it but it sounds interesting and when I do, certainly, I will give you my thoughts on it.
Thanks for commenting on my weekend away or was it with Techie? She gets me so confused sometimes...mmm.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Helen MR said...

Pebaam, Thanks for your reply to my question about Mander's book.

Back to your post about your photos: Would you consider putting up any of your photos here on your blog? It would be wonderful to see them:)

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home